Home

Newsletter

Holidays

Green Team
and Farm Project

Management
and Parents

Art Gallery

Class Pages

Our School

Archive

 

Elizabethtown Borough School Visit

A delegation from Elizabethtown in Pennsylvania, U.S.A. came to Ballyraine N.S. on Wed. 22nd. September. There is a sister-city link between Elizabethtown and Letterkenny and it is felt they have much in common, in particular their shared history, as Elizabethtown and the surrounding area was originally settled by emigrants from Donegal.
     
Our three visitors were:
Roni Ryan ( Assistant Borough Manager)
Her son Aaron Dennis, aged 9
Judith McAllister
     
Aaron and his Mum, Roni, extended particular greetings from the students and staff of
East High Street Elementary School

in Elizabethtown.
Click HERE to visit its website, where they had PHOTOS OF THEIR VISIT to our school! It is the largest of 5 elementary schools in Elizabethtown, with 567 students and 86 teachers and staff !
They knew all about our school before they arrived because of our WEBSITE !!! Aaron was delighted to see our artwork in reality as he had already seen much of it through photos. He particularly enjoyed seeing the clay head sculptures. Roni said that, despite the size difference in schools, many of our events such as 'Art Attack week' were familiar to them from experience, so we have much in common !

Some pupils at Ballyraine wrote pen pal letters to the students at East High, and we've been told that they were a big hit ! They are already talking about writing back so we are looking forward to their replies.
 
     
 
     
 
     
To visit the other schools in the area of Elizabethtown click HERE
     

Elizabethtown is a community of 11,887 residents located in south central Pennsylvania.

HISTORY :

Thomas Harris, who purchased a large tract of land and established a trading post on the Conoy Creek, first settled one of Lancaster County’s earliest communities, Elizabethtown, in 1730. This trading post became the Bear Tavern, which in 1753 was purchased by Barnabas Hughes. Hughes laid out a town and named it Elizabeth in honor of his wife. Situated along a trail, which became the Lancaster-Harrisburg Turnpike, the trading and tavern business flourished and the town grew rapidly. The town was incorporated as a Borough in 1827 and named Elizabethtown.

 CLICK HERE FOR A VISIT TO THE TOWN WEBSITE WHICH HAS MORE INFORMATION ON THE SISTER CITY LINK BETWEEN ELIZABETHTOWN AND LETTERKENNY...
     
     
     

Can you find Elizabethtown ?

Can you spot any familiar names ??

Click HERE to visit an interesting website with more information and maps of the Lancaster townships and names of villages and towns.

     
     
BACK TO OUR HOME PAGE  TOP